Research & Fellowships
Search for summer research opportunities by state, visit the ASBMB Summer Research page.
The following is a list of some fellowship opportunities that are available to graduate students in the molecular life sciences. Some of the fellowships (such as the NSF Graduate Research Fellowship) can be applied for as a senior undergraduate. Many fellowships allow you to apply more than once, and others are best pursued as a 1st or 2nd year graduate student, so this process can continue once you're in a particular graduate program. Some are targeted to particular types of research.
- AAAS Science and Technology Policy Fellowship
- Alfred P. Sloan Foundation Minority PhD Program - offers substantial scholarship support to underrepresented minority students who are beginning their doctoral work in engineering, natural science and mathematics.
- Alfred P. Sloan Foundation Indigenous Graduate Partnership - allows eligible American Indian master's and doctoral candidates at partner institutions to apply for scholarships designed to facilitate graduate study in STEM.
- American Society for Microbiology Robert D. Watkins Graduate Research Fellowship - eligible candidates must be from groups that have been determined by the applicant's institution to be underrepresented in the microbiological sciences.
- Department of Energy: Computational Science Graduate Fellowship (CSGF)
- Department of Energy Office of Science Graduate Fellowship - supports outstanding students to pursue graduate training in basic research in areas of physics, biology, chemistry, mathematics, engineering, computational sciences, and environmental sciences relevant to the Office of Science. Students must be an undergraduate senior or a first-year or second-year graduate student.
- Deptartment of Homeland Security Graduate Fellowships
- EPA Science To Achieve Results (STAR) Graduate Fellowships - Funds up to $37,000 per year for advanced degrees and careers in environmental science and engineering.
- Hertz Foundation Graduate Fellowship - supports outstanding students pursuing a PhD degree in the applied physical, biological, and engineering sciences.
- NIH NIGMS Minority Programs - a variety of programs designed to encourage minority students to pursue training for scientific careers and to enhance the science curricula and research capabilities of faculty at institutions with substantial minority enrollments.
- National Defense Science and Engineering Graduate Fellowship
The following is a list of some fellowship opportunities that are available to postdocs in the molecular life sciences. Many of the fellowships require that you apply by the end of your first year as a postdoc. Receiving your own fellowship as a postdoc is a great way to show potential employers that you work on fundable questions and know how to write a good grant application.
There are also several funding mechanisms that provide money for the transition from postdoc to new faculty. These include: